Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Popper


You may have read my post about The Clapper, the idea of clapping when an intrusive thought is coming into your head and you are trying to keep it from repeating. Well, clapping has not worked for me at all at work. There are too many people around. I probably looked like I was chasing mosquitoes.

So my therapist suggested wearing a rubber band on my wrist and to pop that when I get a thought. Rubber bands are not stylist; see above photo of mine. It looks tight because I have it above my wrist so that it is out of view under my jacket.

I think I should design an OCD rubber band to sell; what do you think? Anyway, I was going to try to find a breast cancer bracelet or some other rubber bracelet for a cause, but I still would not be able to wear something like that to work and they would be to tight to move up my arm.

Going to go visit family today. Have a good weekend!

Peace,
~b~

3 comments:

  1. Interesting strategy. Did the clapping ever work for you? Has the popping worked?

    For me, attempting to keep a thought from repeating has never worked very well. From what I have read, a lot of OCD experts actually recommend doing the opposite, if certain thoughts are bothering you - that is, intentionally thinking about those thoughts or acknowledging that they are there and continuing to go about your day, even if they are still taking up some of your attention in the background. Studies actually show that intentionally trying NOT to think of something, thought-stopping, may make the thoughts subside for a very short time, but usually causes them to come back with a vengeance once you stop intentionally trying to suppress them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would seriously consider asking your therapist if they are familiar with exposure and response prevention therapy--that's what seems to work. Thought stopping made my OCD worse--it's like the old joke, "Try not to think of a white bear." Then all you think of is a white bear. It's counterintuitive, but my intrusive thoughts didn't bother me as much when I recorded a script of the thoughts and listened to it until it didn't bug me anymore. Check out Jonathan Grayson's book Freedom from OCD for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'm making myself very clear. Hehe. Yes, for intrusive thoughts that get in a loop, I am told to continue thinking about them. That is part of my CBT. However, it helps me when I have a "fleeting thought" I call them to try to stop them from getting in a loop by nipping them in the bud. Doesn't always work, but for the little things, a lot of times it does. Hope that clears things up.

    ReplyDelete